News and views from north Bristol's urban village

Saturday 17 May 2008

Geese Over Filton


While driving along the Ring Road from Emerson's Green this morning, I was surprised to see two large Canadian Geese flying overhead about 30 feet above the ground.

I saw the birds as I approached Filton, their flight path taking them from the Abbey Wood MOD campus, across the adjacent retail park and over the A4174 towards Filton itself.

I assume they are normally resident around one of the lakes at Abbey Wood. I'm not sure where they were heading - possibly the grassy areas near the freight train line in Filton.

Canadian Geese were considered to be near-extinct in their native North America until the 1950s. Conservation work has seen a dramatic rise in their numbers and they have also been reintroduced into Britain, the Netherlands and Scandinavia.







If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

No comments:

Site Meter