News and views from north Bristol's urban village

Saturday 13 December 2008

Veiled in Big W


While asset stripping the Woolworth store in Filton this evening, I noticed a young Muslim woman wearing a full face veil. Judging by her height and frame, I would estimate she was aged between 14 and 16.

She was not wearing the close fitting headscarf favoured by the more trendy female members of Eastville's Somali community. This was the full, black face veil, tied at the back, leaving only the narrowest of spaces for the girl to look out on the world.

It was the first time I had seen such a veil being worn in Bristol and I couldn't help thinking that the man accompanying her (who I took to be her father) was undoubtedly drawing more attention to his daughter by the choice of headgear than would be the case if she accompanied him unveiled.









If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

No comments:

Site Meter