News and views from north Bristol's urban village

Saturday 7 March 2009

Motorway Musings


Driving home from London along the M4 on a midweek evening last week, I smiled as I passed Wooton Basset, the name of the Wiltshire town which always reminds me of a packet of sweets.


As it was late, and despite my obligatory power nap at Reading services, I was very tired and my thoughts started to wander to other places in the UK that have edible names:
  • Sandwich
  • Cheddar
  • East Ham
  • Appleby
  • Scone
  • Strawberry Bank
  • Bakewell

Having exhausted this little game, and not even being at the Bath junction, I then turned my thoughts to places named after animals - a natural progression in my carnivorous mind from items of food to things that had the potential to become such.

My list included:
  • Swanage
  • Cowfold
  • Birdlip (I know, I know, the d is silent in the local pronunciation)
  • Dog Village (Devon)
  • Duck End (Essex)
  • Fishponds
  • Goose Green
  • Barking (stretching a point, really)
  • Wolf's Castle
  • Leighton Buzzard (of course)

From there, for reasons not clear to me then or since, I started to muse on place names that suggested a location best avoided:
  • Gravesend
  • Grimbsy
  • Downham
  • Bury
  • Saddington
  • Dulverton
  • Lower Slaughter

Inevitably, I then turned to the opposite end of the emotional spectrum and started to list happy-sounding places. I found fewer such places coming to mind:

  • Luckington
  • Helpston
  • Lover (in Wiltshire)
  • Fairfield

Before I knew it, I had passed junction 18 and had caught my first sight of the orange glow of the Bristol conurbation from the top of the hill.

Game over.











If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

No comments:

Site Meter