News and views from north Bristol's urban village

Saturday 23 May 2009

That's a Lot of Plastic

I couldn't believe it.

The Somerfield shop and petrol station on Falcondale Road claims that in the last 12 months it gave away 434,000 free plastic bags to customers.

I nearly dropped my discounted croissant when I read that notice in the window and as I started to multiply that statistic by the number of supermarkets in Bristol and then the UK....

It's obviously going to save Somerfieled money if they don't give them away in the future, but the environmental case for using only reusable bags is surely overwhelming.

China has done it - and claims to have reduced oil consumption ( a key element in bag production) by 1.6 million tonnes.





If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.

No comments:

Site Meter