Recent visitors to Westbury on Trym's leading 1960s pedestrian shopping precinct cannot fail to have noticed the work being carried out this week to improve the appearance of Carlton Court.
Word from the building site is that, following a formal consultation with businesses based in the precinct, and with the Westbury on Trym Society, the London-based owners of BS9's finest example of concrete retail space have decided to usher in a brave new open area, without shrubs or trees.
Trym Tales understands that, following the consultation, members of the above Society ("an independent voice for Westbury") were lead to believe that the existing greenery in the Court would be replaced following the resurfacing work. Indeed, members are understood to have arrived at the site before work began armed with a collection of trowels, gardening gloves, kneeling cushions and garden forks, and carefully removed the suburban flora by hand, intending to replace them post-paving work. All this with the agreement of the owners
Instead, it appears that a horticultural volte-face has been performed, much to the annoyance of those now entrusted with the care of over twenty unwanted bushes and hardy perennials. The new scheme - consultation notwithstanding - has no greenery in the square, but rather an open space designed to draw shoppers in.
It's all a far cry from the 820-seater Carlton Cinema which occupied the site from 1933 to 1959.
If you enjoyed this post, get free updates by email or RSS.